Plymouth and Plymouth Township

Plymouth and Plymouth Township

Plymouth and Plymouth Township

Plymouth and Plymouth Township

Plymouth, MI

The City of Plymouth, MI (pop 9,100) is nestled in the center of Plymouth Township (pop 27,500).  Combined these two communities together form a desirable residential community that is both highly vaued by its inhabitants and growing in numbers at a significant rate.  Plymouth was voted by Movoto.com as the best Detroit suburb for young professionals. Real estate values in this thriving community have shown steady growth as has population and commerce.

In 2009 Plymouth Township was named 28th Best Place to Live in the United States by CNN Money Magazine.  Most recently, AreaVibes.com, which ranks communities across the United States, selected Plymouth Township as the best place to live in Michigan. (results published in January 2014).

Location 

Located approximately 25 miles east of Detroit along the M14 corridor and I-275 in the northwest corner of Wayne County, Plymouth Township is bordered by Northville on the north, Westland and Livonia on the east, Salem on the west and Canton Township on the south.

Geography/Terrain 

The City of Plymouth is 2.2 square miles located within Plymouth Township, 16.6 square miles, each with its own governing body. According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 16.0 square miles (41 km2), of which 15.9 square miles (41 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 0.25%, is water.

Distance to 3 Closest Major Cities 

It is located 15.6 miles (25.1 km) east of Ann Arbor, 26.3 miles (42.3 km) west of Detroit and 75 miles southeast of Lansing.

Jobs 

The Plymouth community is part of one of the best high-technology corridors in the country. Our many industrial parks are filled with major corporate research facilities from the world’s leading companies such as Isuzu, Bosch and Johnson Controls. With 42% of the tech workforce holding a bachelors degree or higher, the community far outpaces the national average of 24% college graduates.

Housing 

Plymouth offers a variety of home buying options from traditional colonials within walking distance to its historic downtown to modern condos to ever-growing residential subdivisions and neighborhood communities with large homes on spacious lots. In addition, there is plenty of available rental property in the city and surrounding areas. Real estate values in this thriving community have shown steady growth as has population and commerce.

Parks/Sports/Recreation/Golf 

Plymouth Township oversees several parks including the 80 acre Township Park (with SprayScape water area) @ 46640 Ann Arbor Trail, Lake Pointe Soccer Park on Haggerty Road, Miller Family Park @ 40198 Ann Arbor Trail, and Hilltop Golf Course @ 47000 Powell Road.

In addition, the City of Plymouth boasts 12 parks located throughout the city where residents can find picnic tables, basketball hoops, baseball diamonds, soccer nets, grills and a variety of swings and play structures.  Kellogg Park hosts Music in the Park on Fridays and a wide variety of other special events like Art in the Park and the Plymouth Fall Festival.

Special Attractions/Events 

Plymouth is known for outstanding festivals & community events. From the Plymouth Ice Festival to the second largest art fair in Michigan. Throughout the year there are many family events such as Scarecrow in the Park, The Kona Chocolate Run, and the Walk of Trees which runs from November thru the end of the Christmas Season.

Plymouth's Beginning

On April 2, 1825 a tract of land that is currently known as Plymouth, Michigan was registered by Luther Lincoln, Jr. in the United States General Land Office by its acting Commissioner and President John Quincy Adams. Plymouth was settled in 1825, was incorporated in 1867, and became a city in 1932.  Michigan did not formally become a state until 1835.

It was George Starkweather, the first child born to settlers in present Plymouth Township, who later in 1871 recognized the importance of a railroad to a community and decided that the North Village of Plymouth would become the new center of town. He built a new store on the corner of Liberty and Starkweather and opened a road through his property for other new stores to locate. This area is presently known as "Old Village" or “Lowertown.”


Railroads & Toll Roads

The Plymouth Railroad Station was built in 1871 by the Pere Marquette Railroad. The only place in Michigan where railroad tracks go in all four directions, bringing goods and services from points east and west, and north and south through the Plymouth Community.  The north-south rail line through Plymouth was built by the Holly, Wayne and Monroe Railway. After construction was complete, The Holly, Wayne and Monroe Railway merged into the Flint and Pere Marquette system, May 30, 1871. In 1900, both lines (north-south and east-west) that ran through Plymouth, came under ownership of the newly formed Pere Marquette railway as stated above.

The first ever steam locomotive that pulled into Plymouth, came from Wayne, Michigan on the north south line, on April 27, 1871, and was known as the Grand "Excursion" by rail. So at least on that day, the Holly, Wayne and Monroe Railway was in actual operation.

Before the coming of the railroad, Plymouth was serviced by a toll road known as "Plymouth Plank Road" from 1850 to 1872. Planks were on the right side only for heavy-laden wagons going to market. Wagons coming back to Plymouth empty were to use the dirt side and there was no toll for the homeward trip.

Schools

The Plymouth-Canton Community School District consists of three high schools, five middle schools, and sixteen elementary schools. The district has the only educational park in Michigan, the Plymouth-Canton Educational Park (P-CEP).